Sunday, July 6, 2008

Day 21 and 22- All Things Toronto...


Day 21 and 22 - July 5& 6, 2008

A whirlwind 2 days in the heart of Toronto. Sunny and warm both days, great for walking and seeing the sights! We bought city passes, which save a bundle on admissions for some of the highlight attractions this city has to offer. Included was CN tower, a must see for Lucas, not so much for Phil and I but as Lucas put it – “it’s a once in a lifetime experience”, and he was right. Both Phil & I have seen the tower upon other visits, however we never went up to the top. The elevator has glass on the sides and the floor! Great for those who aren’t squeamish, not so great for the rest of us! Did you know there is also a glass floor at the top observation deck! I couldn’t go near it, but Lucas did . (I decided right then and there that I plan on living my bravery through him! ) What I didn’t mention was the line ups – long long long! An hour or more wait once you pass through security.

Hockey Hall of Fame was our next stop to see all things hockey. And for the true hockey fan, this is the place to be. Lucas and Phil played the intereactive games, toured, and got a picture with the Stanley Cup and some others, so that was pretty cool. Halfway, I proceeded out to the mall to get a magazine to pass the time while they got their fill of hockey.

Next day was the Ontario Science Centre and the Toronto Zoo. We head out early so we could take in both. Fortunately the Zoo was open until 7:30 p.m. so that worked in our favour. The traffic in Toronto moves quite well. For a city of over 2.5 million, we were not in one traffic jam the whole time here! Hmmm, maybe these people can come to Kelowna and design our traffic routes!

Anyway, Ontario Science Centre is huge, and once again we did not get to see it all, however did spend 3+ hours testing and trying every gizmo we could find. I found out that I have slow reflexes, my reaction time is below average, and I do not land as lightly as a cat, however, I do know how long 15 seconds is! Phil found out his driving reflexes are average, is lighter on his feet than I , and we all do what we are told (in an experiment) Lucas is the lightest on his feet, has better reflexes and is better at hockey trivia just by guessing! We will have to get him to drive the rest of the trip and enter game shows!

The zoo was quite nice, however, once you see San Diego, all others pale in comparison. Having said that, we got to witness a grizzly bear playing like a kid in a pool which was really something to see! He would bat the ball into the water and dribble like in basket ball. He tried to puncture the ball while balancing his hind quarters over a log, but always managed to fall in, then he would grab the ball, throw it up or bat it down into the water. Was something none of us had ever seen before! Quite cool to watch. This zoo had a water play area, so being that it was hot, and we have all our belongings with us, Lucas got to cool off in the water park. Phil got to witness Siberian tigers frolick with each other, growl, and play, and one even climbed a tree. Made everyone wonder how high he would go, and if he could jump off it.

It was a really busy 2 days, and we were glad to get to our hotel……until we got here. Everything you could imagine that would ruin one’s sleep is here! Unbeknownst to us, our hotel is a truck stop mecca. That’s right, about 30-50 18 wheelers greeted us as we drove up. While we were getting our things out of the car, about 5 jets flew over head, and to top it off, there is a huge power line that crackles, and is almost as high as our 4 story hotel, and our room was next to the elevator, and the ice machine! I dare anyone to top that off! Anyway, we got our room changed and cranked up the ac to drown out the noise. Hope it works, we are off to get some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz’s
Night!.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure the Stanley Cup was a highlight for you Lucas!!!!!!! Love the White Gloves!!!!!

Mrs. Penner