Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day 11 - Onto to PEI




Day 11, June 25, 2008



After spending the night in Amherst, and much to Lucas’s relief, we finally left Nova Scotia behind and headed to another province. Its sunny and warm so it makes for a great day whether travelling or sight seeing. At just after noon we crossed the Confederation Bridge into Prince Edward Island. The bridge is about 8 miles (12 kms) long and is the longest bridge in the world. It took us 10 minutes to cross it. After a couple of pictures we head into Charlottetown to tour Province House where the fathers of confederation first met and decided to join the British North America colonies into a unified country. It turns out there isn’t much to see, just a couple of rooms available for viewing, but it was an important part of our history, so we were glad we saw it.

We also went into a beautiful huge old cathedral (St. Dunstan’s Basilica). Very high copper spires, lots of stained glass, and once again a very quiet and reflective space. It was beautiful!

We go to check in, and Phil opens up our room, only to find it in disarray – the room hadn’t been cleaned and looked like someone was still staying there. Just another moment in the Morehouse holiday log of Blips along the way. Fortunately they did have another room to put us in for the night. I would hate to think what would have happened if there wasn’t.

We took in the Anne of Green Gables, the musical at the Confederation Centre for the Arts. Great production, very funny, great singers and actors. Was superbly done. We all enjoyed the production and re-hearing the story. The theatre was beautiful – nice roomy seats, and even more than ample leg room. What a novel idea!

We will be happy to return to civilization again to get Starbucks. We have been without since we left Halifax. We were lucky enough to get near enough to Halifax to find one on the outskirts, which was about 3 days ago! There are none in PEI, but I hear there may be one in New Brunswick! Here’s hoping!!!!!
Cool facts we learned:
1) The Charolotteown conference on unity was meant to be just a meeting of the Maritime colonies discussing unity. Canada (just small parts of present day Ontario and Quebec) wasn’t invited but John A. MacDonald got wind of the meeting and insisted he and other Canadian representatives attend. Until then the maritme leaders had never met the Canadian leaders.
2) We travelled in 3 Provinces today. We were in Nova Scotia, and then had to go through a little of New Brunswick and then once we were over the bridge we were in PEI.


Lucas’ Statement: Did you know that…. Lucy Maud Montgomery, the author of Anne of Green Gables was proposed to her teacher at the age of 16, but she refused and married a pastor when she was 36.

3 comments:

Shari Morehouse said...

Ahh here's where my envy really kicks in! I'd love to go to PEI this year since as I'm sure you know, it's the 100th anniversary of Anne of Green Gables. I'm glad you went to the musical I didn't think you would. I received an Anne book for every birthday and Christmas until I had them all, and I still have them all!

Shari Morehouse said...

PS you are very good at this Terry, you should go into travel writing!

Ron Schlitt said...

Hey Lucas,

I wouldn't suggest that you marry your teacher when you are 16. You should at least wait until you are 17 years old.